Nandrolone phenylpropionate is an anabolic steroid very similar to the popular compound nandrolone decanoate. However, nandrolone phenylpropionate was the first nandrolone compound ever to be marketed. Nandrolone phenylpropionate hit the shelves in the 1950s and was brought to market by Organon under the name Durabolin. Shortly thereafter, Organon will release its Decanoate cousin called Deca Durabolin.
Nandrolone phenylpropionate is a small ester anabolic steroid commonly referred to as NPP. This product has never been as popular as the larger version of ester decanoate due in part to availability; however, the modern era has seen a resurgence in both usage and availability, thanks in part to clandestine labs.
Nandrolone phenylpropionate has numerous therapeutic and functional benefits. The hormone nandrolone is the most commonly prescribed anabolic steroid other than testosterone, but the decanoate version is the most commonly prescribed form of nandrolone. It is one of the most well-tolerated steroids in both performance and medical terms, although possible side effects certainly exist.
Functions and features of nandrolone phenylpropionate
Nandrolone phenylpropionate has many positive traits that are similar to many anabolic steroids. However, this compound also has functional characteristics that far outweigh what some steroid hormones are capable of. The positive functional characteristics of nandrolone phenylpropionate include:
- increased production of IGF-1: Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) is a powerful anabolic hormone that is also important for our body’s ability to recover. It is a hormone that affects almost every cell in the human body.
- suppression of glucocorticoids: Known as stress hormones (cortisol), these hormones are essential for our health and well-being. However, glucocorticoids can also contribute to muscle loss and weight gain when they become dominant. Vigorous activity can lead to increased levels of stress hormones. Hormones such as nandrolone can reduce the production of stress hormones.
- increased Nitrogen Retention: All muscle tissue is made up of 16% nitrogen. If the delay drops, we fall into a catabolic state. The more we save, the more anabolic we remain.
- increased protein synthesis: This refers to the rate at which cells build proteins, the building blocks of muscle tissue.
- increased red blood cell count: Red blood cells carry oxygen into and through the blood. Increased efficiency leads to increased muscle endurance and recovery.
- increased collagen synthesis and bone mineral content: This refers to the strength of bones and cartilage, as well as their ability to strengthen and facilitate healing. This applies to the joints more than anywhere else.
Important Note: Nandrolone is often said to cause water to enter the joints, thereby providing relief. This is physically impossible. This is not water, this is an improvement in the synthesis of collagen and minerals in the bones.
Nandrolone phenylpropionate is also well suited for treatment in many areas. Although nandrolone decanoate is more commonly used, the phenylpropionate version is still used with some regularity. The use of nandrolone phenylpropionate has been proven to be beneficial in the treatment of the following conditions:
- diseases that cause muscle wasting: cancer, HIV, etc.;
- reduced geriatric weakness and fatigue;
- mammary cancer;
- treatment of burn victims;
- pituitary dwarfism;
- developmental delay in children;
Despite its many benefits and uses, in the US, nandrolone is usually prescribed only for HIV, AIDS, and anemia. Its effectiveness in other areas is high, but it is usually used in such areas of medicine outside the United States. Some physicians in the US have started prescribing it for anti-aging purposes, but this still makes up a very small fraction of the total prescriptions.
Effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate
With a deep understanding of the functions and properties of nandrolone phenylpropionate, we already have a good understanding of the positive effects of this steroid. However, in terms that an athlete can appreciate, we can be more specific.
Nandrolone Phenylpropionate is one of the best steroids he can choose to increase muscle and size for an athlete in the off-season – mass gain cycle. It is one of the best mass building tools available and many bodybuilders use it in every mass building plan. Even though the nandrolone form is faster acting, the growth will not be fast, but it will be steady, uniform, and significant. You are supposed to eat enough to grow. To grow, you must consume more calories than you burn. No steroid in the world can change this truth. But you will get more out of your height with a steroid like Nandrolone Phenylpropionate if you do it right. You should also notice that you stay leaner in the off-season due to the significant metabolic effects of the hormone.
Nandrolone phenylpropionate can also be used for cutting cycles, although it is not usually considered a cutting steroid. This steroid will significantly protect muscle mass better than many steroids. When we diet, we must burn more calories than we consume. This is the only way to get rid of fat. Unfortunately, this puts lean muscle tissue at risk. When dieting, some lean tissue will be lost, but a successful diet limits this loss and nandrolone can provide this protective measure. Once again, the benefits of recovery will be huge, especially when recovery can already be incredibly difficult when dieting due to a calorie deficit.
The ultimate performance benefits surround the athlete. Many athletes use low doses of nandrolone phenylpropionate for joint recovery and relief. This is not a masking benefit, like painkillers, but a real relief. Some may also find some increase in strength, although this is not a steroid that is well known for its amazing strength increasing properties. However, it is one of the most common steroids used by athletes.
Side Effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate
There are several possible side effects of using nandrolone phenylpropionate, but it is also one of the more beneficial side effects. The key to managing and preventing side effects is understanding how they occur and using the hormone correctly. Most men should avoid serious side effects entirely. To understand the side effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate, we have divided them into separate categories:
- estrogen: possible estrogenic side effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate. The estrogenic side effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate include gynecomastia, water retention, and high blood pressure caused by severe water retention. These side effects can be avoided with an aromatase inhibitor (AI) such as Anastrozole (Arimidex). The reason for the estrogenic side effects is due to the aromatization of the hormone nandrolone. Aromatization refers to the conversion of testosterone to estrogen. However, the rate of aromatization by this hormone is slow, but high enough to cause problems for some men. It is also a progestin, and progesterone can activate breast tissue and promote gynecomastia in very sensitive men. AI based on estrogen or progesterone will provide the necessary protection;
- androgenic: side effects of nandrolone phenylpropionate are possible, but they are unlikely in men. Hair loss is possible in men prone to male pattern baldness, and acne in sensitive men. However, when it comes to such effects, it is one of the most well tolerated steroids. The greatest role will be played by genetic predispositions. Important Note: The use of a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor does not reduce the androgenicity of nandrolone; in fact, it will increase it and should be avoided.
- cardiovascular: nandrolone phenylpropionate can have a negative effect on HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) and may be somewhat more significant than testosterone. This negative effect can be exacerbated by the use of AI. It is more than possible to use nandrolone phenylpropionate without cholesterol or cardiovascular problems, but a healthy lifestyle is a must. Regular cardiovascular activity is important, as is a cholesterol-friendly lifestyle;
- testosterone: the use of nandrolone phenylpropionate suppresses the natural production of testosterone. As with all nandrolone compounds, a single injection will suppress almost if not all of your natural testosterone production. Your genetics won’t prevent this, and it’s completely unavoidable when used. In this regard, it is absolutely essential that all men taking this steroid use it along with some form of exogenous testosterone. This will prevent the decline in testosterone levels, accompanied by many very undesirable symptoms. After stopping the use of nandrolone phenylpropionate and cleansing the body of all anabolic steroids, natural testosterone production will resume. However, this will not happen overnight and will happen slowly. Post cycle therapy (PCT) is recommended. This will help stimulate natural testosterone production and increase the chances of a successful recovery. PCT will not lead to a full recovery, it will still take a few months after PCT, but it will give you the best start. Important note: natural recovery assumes that the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular (HPTA) axis was not damaged during use and that there was no prior low testosterone condition;
- hepatotoxicity: nandrolone phenylpropionate is not toxic to the liver.
Application of nandrolone phenylpropionate
For an athlete or bodybuilder, doses can vary greatly. 100mg per week would provide a significant therapeutic benefit, with 200mg per week being more common as it would provide a significant improvement in recovery. On most training circuits, the usual dosage range will be 300-400 mg per week, and this is the ideal range for building or maintaining muscle tissue. Some will use more, but this will increase the risk of side effects.
Regardless of dose, the total dose is usually divided into three equal injections per week or scheduled every other day for optimal results. 8-12 weeks is a normal use period for most athletes. The exception is female athletes, who can use the steroid for 4-6 weeks and usually at a dose of no more than 50 mg per week if virilization is to be avoided.